What is a Continuing Care Retirement Community and Five Reasons Why Seniors Should Make the Move Sooner Rather than Later
As people grow older, there comes a time when more care and assistance with daily living activities may be needed. This can be a difficult transition, and many individuals may be hesitant to move into a continuing care community (CCRC, or life plan community). However, there are many reasons why it’s important to make this move sooner rather than later. Westminster Village of Scottsdale, Arizona is a continuing care retirement community where residents live independently but healthcare services are available if needed down the road.
So when is the right time to move to a CCRC? What is the ideal age? There is no one answer to this question because everyone’s situation will be different. People age at different rates, and different lifestyles impact the aging process.
Below are five advantages of making your move sooner rather than later to avoid missing out on some of the very reasons people are attracted to these communities in the first place:
- More access. One of the top benefits of living in a continuing care community is having convenient access to a huge array of activities, amenities, and services. Westminster Village boasts a monthly activity calendar full of classes and events that help residents maintain their physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual health. Moving when younger allows residents to reap the full benefits of these activities.
- Better care: The level of preventative care and support that is available now is another reason why moving into a continuing care community sooner rather than later is a good idea. Westminster Village offers a range of services and amenities to help residents live as independently as possible, while also providing the support they need to stay healthy and happy. We provide comprehensive health and wellness programs which includes access to fitness trainers, low-impact aerobics and yoga classes, and physical therapy or customized rehabilitation programs, just to list a few examples.
- Peace of mind: Moving to a continuing care community can provide peace of mind for both residents and their families. Westminster Village provides a range of care, from independent living to assisted living, offering continued support from the community’s family of healthcare providers no matter how needs change over time. [CM3] This can help alleviate the stress and uncertainty that can come with worrying about the future and provide a sense of security and stability for residents and their loved ones.
- Smoother transition: Moving tends to get increasingly difficult as we age — both physically and mentally. Those who are younger (relatively speaking), able-bodied, and in good health are generally able to handle the transition more easily. On the other hand, those who are older when they make a move may be more likely to experience relocation stress syndrome (RSS), a condition characterized by symptoms like anxiety, confusion, and loneliness.
- Connection: Community-based events are a great way to stay mentally and emotionally healthy if the transition to a continuing care community happens at a younger age. Westminster Village residents often say that one of the greatest things about making the move to their community has been the friendships they’ve formed with their neighbors. This network of close, supportive friends can be especially beneficial should healthcare issues arise in the future. Many seniors may find themselves feeling lonely or isolated as they age, especially if they live alone or have lost friends and loved ones. Regular opportunities to socialize and make new friends, whether through organized events and activities or simply by interacting with fellow residents in common areas like dining halls is a great way to fight loneliness and sustain overall improved health.
While it can be difficult to make the decision to move to a continuing care community, there are many compelling reasons to do so sooner rather than later. From the level of care and support available to the social and community aspect of becoming a resident, there are many benefits to making this transition in good health. There are many considerations that must go into each individual’s decision about when to make the move to a CCRC. Generally speaking, once you have decided that a CCRC is the right senior living option, it is smart to make the move while you are still in good health and have the physical and emotional stamina to make a change and enjoy the benefits.
At Westminster Village of Scottsdale, AZ, we are dedicated to providing our residents with the highest level of care and support while also fostering a sense of community and purpose. We invite you to explore all that our community has to offer and discover why so many seniors have chosen to make Westminster Village their home.