Frequently Asked Questions
Choosing a senior living community can feel overwhelming. Here are a few questions and answers to some of the common concerns we hear as we meet with families.
- What is an entrance fee?
Westminster Village is a Life Plan community, which provides a full continuum of housing, services, and health care that is centrally located and administered on our campus.
With our Life Plan program, you are guaranteed access to higher levels of on-site care, personal care, memory care and skilled nursing at a predictable cost, allowing you to focus on doing what you enjoy today without the burden of worrying about unforeseen future health care events.
- What services does the monthly fee include? Does this fee increase?
The monthly service fee provides for standard services, programs and amenities including:
- Reserved covered parking available (1 car per residence)
- 24-hour on-site staffing and emergency response
- EMT-certified security personnel
- Weekly flat laundry service
- Building and ground maintenance
- Individually controlled heating and cooling
Additionally, each month a Resident Service Credit is issued to provide you the opportunity to choose from a rich array of personal service options including but not limited to:
- Theatre tickets to special events
- Choice of meals in one of our three chef-inspired dining areas
- Additional covered parking spaces and electric charging stations are available with limited availability
- Personalized Concierge Services
- Housekeeping Services
- Home Health Services – RN (registered nurse) or LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) Services
- Medication Management
- On-site signature hand carwash
- In-room dining
- Phone, Internet, Television bundled package
The entrance fee, monthly service charges, and Resident Service Allowance varies based on the size apartment you choose. Yes, this fee generally increases between two and six percent each year. The increase is decided by our Board of Directors.
- Is the entrance fee refundable?
We offer two financial plans to suit your needs and financial situation. Under the “Standard Schedule of Fees,” the entrance fee is not refundable upon death. However, if you decide to move from Westminster Village within the first 5 years, 10% of the entrance fee would be deducted plus 1.5 percent per every month you lived here. The remainder of the entrance fee would be refunded to you. Under the optional “60% Refund Plan,” the entrance fee is double the cost of the price of the apartment, and 60% of the entrance fee will be refunded at any time, whether you move from Westminster Village or pass away.
I understand there is an income tax deduction for the fees paid. Please explain.
In accordance with IRS regulations, there is an income tax deduction for the fees paid. Residents of a Life Plan community are entitled to an itemized medical expense deduction on Schedule A of their Federal income tax return for the portion of the entrance fee and monthly service fees attributable to medical costs. In 2021, our auditors calculated the deductible expenses to be $1,504 per resident per month of service fees and $86,935 per entrance fee paid. However, Westminster Village does not offer advice in tax matters, and there are frequent changes in tax laws and regulations. Residents should contact their own tax advisors for the appropriate treatment of such charges.